Sunday, October 7, 2007

Prologue





About three months ago I begin looking into guitar amps. I knew I wanted to go tube, but I had no idea why; I knew they were exspensive and usually for reason, so I began perusing the internet, gaining the knowlege any good, techno-savy, online shopper would acrew. Eventually I stumbled up on this website: http://www.ax84.com/ (For those who don't want to follow the link: It offers many homebrew tube amp options, and an extremely helpful active community.)

After perusing this website for a couple hours I was convinced I had been touched by Rectifier himself (Rectifier - A forgotten Roman God, responsible for the aesthetic properties of valve based electronics) And thus I would spend the next three months dillegently pursuing the tonal bliss of my very own tube amp.

But I don't have that much money. Even the DIY kit from http://www.dobermanamps.com/ is pretty spendy, although I would have done it if it wasn't for what I'm about to tell you. The conclusion of those three months brought me gem. Sometimes I wonder, "Why, oh, why don't I ever win anything." Never again.

I found this sucker (pictures with post) on craigslist for $40. Upon some minor research I have concluded it is a MASCO MA-17 PA amp. Supposedly, this amp was made in the late 40's, early 50's, and is widely coveted by Harp players! Although, all excitement aside (as shown by the exclamation point) it doesn't work. I plugged it in and the 6L6 tubes lit up, as did the power light, but it doesn't put anymusic out. I have a suspision that it is the Output Transforme, but I will see. And so shall you, because that is the purpose of this website. I am going to document my furbishing of this amp into the screaming, 17 watt dynamo it can be.

No comments: